Amherst firefighters knocked down a stove fire in an Amherst College science lab Friday night, aided by a sprinkler system that contained the fire to one room.
WGGB-TV reported the 7:20 p.m. alarm indicated fire in a third-floor laboratory. Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson reported the fire apparently started in a newly installed stove in the lab area.
The lab area sustained extensive smoke and water damage, and areas in the floors below also suffered water damage from the sprinkler system.
Mutual aid from Hadley, South Hadley, Northampton and Belchertown helped to maintain uninterrupted ambulance service and station coverage as the Amherst firefighters worked the fire scene.